How You Can Build a Better Garden Next Time Around
I don’t know about you, but in my neck of the woods, the garden is just about done. It’s tired and cold.
Last year I planted a garden and it didn’t do well at all. This year I planted a garden and it did great. Next years is going to be even better.
The first year using our raised bed garden I know I planted too much stuff too close together. This year I didn’t make the same mistake.
However, there were other things that I did wrong and I totally forgot what they were. These were things I swore I would remember, or, I would write down later so I didn’t forget. But guess what? I forgot. I forgot what I swore I would remember and I didn’t take the time to write down what should have been written down.
So this year, although my garden was great, there are still several things I need to change up for next year. And you know what? I am going to write them down this year. And very soon before I forget.
- Don’t plant pumpkins. The darn things take over the whole garden. Plant something I like better instead (like watermelon)
- Plant cool weather crops together
- Plant things that need the same type of watering schedule together
- And a list of when and what to fertilize
- Make sure one plant doesn’t shade another
- Plant mint in it’s own container
These are just a few of the things I need to remember. And here is how I am going to remember them.
This year, I had a file that is labeled with the word Garden. Since it got too fat with all the information I put in it, next year I am going to use a Project Sorter instead.
Here is what one looks like.
The Amazing Project Sorter
I use these for many types of projects. Both projects for work and for home.
Once my folder is complete, it will contain the following. I will note these on the front of the folder.
- Current bed plan (for next planting year)
- Past bed plans with notes about what worked, what didn’t, and when I planted what
- When to plant and fertilize table
- Plants per square foot guidelines (for square foot gardening)
- Growing How To’s (plant specific)
- Companion Planting Guide
- Past seed and plant orders/ purchases
- Organic fertilizer / pesticide information
- Composting Information
I am looking forward to an amazing garden next year.
I will put a note in my folder to post pics!